16 May, 2011

Fitness inspiration: Kelly Ripa


Has anyone noticed how petite and trim Kelly Ripa looks (borderline too thin at times, but I think she clearly has good genetics and works her bum off!)?  She is one busy mama (with 3 children and multiple jobs), but she manages to stay disciplined and dedicated to maintaining a strong, lean figure.  I hope I look like her in my forties!

Kelly admits that she didn't really take exercising seriously until she was in her thirties.  After being exhausted every day, she began walking on a treadmill, and soon after, turned to running outdoors.

"I try to do something physical every day, something that's a little bit physically grueling."


On exercising:

"I like what it does for my mind. If I've had a bad day, if I'm feeling stressed out, if I'm feeling overwhelmed — it takes it all away. It's my antidote for everything. If I feel any sort of emotional upheaval, I go for a jog and I feel better."

"I work out every day, and I make sure do something different every day," said Ripa. "I like to do SoulCycle, Physique 57, and I even like the Tracy Anderson Method. Throw them together, and there you go -- I mix them all up."
Kelly's workouts are usually high-intensity cardio sessions which she claims helps her focus on fitness when she's at the gym.  She uses a resistance bands, a medicine ball, a pair of 3- to 5-pound dumbbells, a stability ball, and a jump rope.


Here are some typical exercises you can find Kelly doing:

1. Squat and Rotation Row
Works butt, legs, back, and biceps. Anchor a handled resistance tube to a sturdy object close to the ground and grasp one handle with left hand, arm straight, and rotate arm clockwise until palm faces out.
Lower into a deep squat, feet shoulder-width apart, knees aligned over toes, right hand resting on hip. Rise up and rotate arm inward until palm faces up, as you pull handle toward ribs. Return to starting position and repeat Do 2 sets of 12 to 15 reps on each side.

2. Deep Squat Plié –
"There's one where you get into a deep plié, rise up on the ball of one foot, then switch to the ball of the other foot and back.  Eventually you rise up on the balls of both feet while staying in plié.  You go down an inch, up an inch, down an inch, up an inch.  Your legs are literally shaking.  The burn is significant.  But boy, it really sculpts my legs!"

3. 20-minute cardio Rx
Alternate jumping rope with 30 seconds of jumping jacks. Start with 20 jump rope revolutions and increase by 20 after each round of jacks until you reach 100. Then reduce by 20 until you’re back down to 20. Repeat twice.


To maintain her beautifully-toned arms (sequence of moves should be done three times per week in addition to a cardio regimen):


1. Straight curl –
To tone biceps, stand up holding two dumbbells, palms up. Beginners should only hold 5-lb. weights, or 10 pounds total, and add more weight as you go. The current weight should always be challenging but not impossible to complete. Curl the barbell toward your chest and back down for one rep. Do three sets of 12 to 15 reps, resting for 30 to 60 seconds between each set.

2. The 21s
Stand straight. Hold 5-lb. dumbbells in each hand in starting position, which is with arms down. Start with a basic curl from starting position, lifting the dumbbells halfway up, so arms are parallel with the floor. Do 7 reps of this. Then do 7 reps from the half-way position to the top of the straight bicep curl movement. Then, do 7 full reps following the entire range of motion from the starting position to the end of the bicep curl. This is a total of 21 reps. Do two sets.

3. Triceps kickback –
Hold a 3-lb. dumbbell in one hand and place opposite knee on a bench with other foot flexed on the floor. Pull the arm holding the dumbbell straight back and up to your side. Lower to starting position. Repeat 15 reps for one set. Do 3 sets.


Also, lots of push ups!


Wondering about Kelly's diet?

"I don't diet because I feel moderation is the key to what I eat," she said. "So if you were to ask me what my guilty pleasure was, I will tell you it is French fries and white wine, and no, I don't feel remorseful about eating them."
Kelly, who enjoys fruit, nuts and yogurt as snacks, says portion control is the key for staying lean. "I'll have an apple or carrot sticks in my purse so I'm not reaching for potato chips.  As long as you are healthy and sensible about what you eat, and healthy and sensible about your physical fitness, you can kind of have it all."


Hope you enjoyed today's workout!

No comments:

Post a Comment