23 April, 2011

Fitness inspiration: Carrie Underwood


Miss Underwood has been on my radar for a while now.  She is a driven young woman, with a spunky personality, and quite a set of pipes.  Whatever she is doing to keep up her physique is definitely working!


(Oh, and did I mention that she's a petite 5'3"?  This means, we're pretty close in height!)


Set goals for yourself: “Everybody has things they want to look nice for: anniversary, birthday, reunion.  I’ll think to myself, oh, that award show is coming up.  Or, I have a photo shoot in four days!  It’s nice to set goals.”

Wise wisdom from this woman!

The singer admits that she has always struggled with her weight.  “I carry all my stress weight, all my potato chip weight,” she adds,   “Around my mid-section. You’ve got to fight genetics sometimes.”

To tighten your mid-section: "I've told trainers abs are a physical impossibility for me. And every single time, they're like, 'Well, we'll get you abs!' So do I have them? No! But they're as flat as they're probably going to get. Push-ups work out everything. If you do them right, you'll feel it in your abs. I do four sets of 10 to 20."


On the days where she isn't working out with her trainer, Carrie likes to exercise on her own to stay scheduled and motivated.  "I think clearer throughout my day if I get a good workout, and I sleep better at night."

Carrie also keeps a food journal of what she eats throughout the day. “Once you realize, it’s like, ‘No wonder I’ve plateaued! No wonder I’ve been gaining weight!’ Little things really do add up.”


Go-to exercises:
Lots and lots of cardio; everything from kickboxing, jump roping, and swimming, to lengthening yoga stretches.  To maintain her famous gams (which she considers her best assets), she incorporates walking lunges and jumping squats.

For more of a leg workout, do the exercises in How to get Legs like Carrie Underwood.

Isometric resistance moves:
Next, do a series of pull-ups, lunges, and pushups. Reps vary, but start with 3 sets of 15-20 reps and work your way up, or do as many as you can in 60 seconds. 

Strength training:

Step-ups on a bench, step, or similar incline with dumbbells (or swinging kettleballs), lateral pull downs, and leg extension work.   Increase the reps and use light weights.

On eating healthfully:
Carrie keeps nutritious snacks on hand at all times (like protein bars and nuts), and watches what she eats.  She is a long-time vegetarian, and follows the philosophy of "everything in moderation", though she does let herself enjoy treats like pasta, pizza (she loves cheese!), and sweets.  Soup, veggie burgers, and plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables are her staples, and she goes grocery shopping whenever possible while on tour.


“Once you’re enjoying things about your body, you realize how much you want to keep them that way or make them better.”

No comments:

Post a Comment